Boneshaker Project NPT Kids to Parks Day
Kids to Parks Day – Saturday, May 17, 2014 9-12:30PM
National Parks Trust encourages children across the country to explore their neighborhood parks and discover the history, nature and adventure right around the corner or just across town.
Boneshaker Project, whose mission it is to get kids outside, playing, and feeling strong early in life, is proud to be participating with National Park Trust on this day! We want to share Austin’s amazing parks and community organizations with kids of all ages. We will explore Zilker Park Trails by bicycle and meet with collaborators and other community organizations and businesses.
For our park adventure, we will meet at the Texas Rowing Center, on Veterans Drive, on the North side of Lady Bird Lake near Austin High School Track. Parking can be found along Veterans Drive and the parking lot by the tennis courts. Please bring your own bike/helmet if you have them, or rsvp and reserve one of ours!
Our stations, as numbered on the MapMyFitness map, will include:
- Texas Rowing Center – Self-Sponsored
- Eilers (Deep Eddy Pool) Park Playground – Sponsored by CAPOEIRA BREAKDANCE AUSTIN
- Zilker Park Beach Volleyball Courts – Sponsored by AUSTIN SPORTS CENTER
- Austin Science and Nature Center – Self Sponsored
- Zilker Disc Golf – Sponsored by BEARDED BROS NUTRITION BARS
- Barton Springs Pool – Self-Sponsored
- A Surprise visit by an Austin-based XGames Athlete
View Larger Map
Each station stop will last an average of 15 minutes.
- Texas Rowing Center
- Volunteers will share with families information about all the different forms of kayaks, paddles boards, etc. Also, they will teach important water/boat safety rules. One lucky family may get the chance to go on a kayak to model proper use and safety.
- Eilers (Deep Eddy) Park Playground
- Lively and Fun Dancing Demo by Capoeira Breakdance Austin
- Zilker Park Beach Volleyball
- Austin Sports Center volleyball club will teach kids basic volleyball skills & rules
- Austin Science and Nature Center
- This will be more of a relaxing station for the kids. We will have the kids explore the garden for exotic plants that they have never seen.
- Zilker Disc Golf
- The kids will get the opportunity to play a hole of disc golf with Chris Simpson & get a snack of samples from Bearded Bros Bars, Boneshaker Project Community Partner
- Barton Springs Pool
- Welcome! Kids & their parents take a quick dip and/or feed the pigeons
- Pfluger Bridge Overlook
- Kids will be on the lookout for a surprise visitor – a bike trick demo, a photo op and a chance to get an autograph from an Austin-based XGames BMX Freestyle Street Athlete
- Back to Texas Rowing Center for a Boneshaker Family Picnic – Bring your lunch in coolers (or use ours) and your picnic blankets!